Tuesday, February 17, 2009

I decided to start this blog to broadcast my thoughts and feelings on all different aspects of life. As a 22 year old, I feel like I've experienced a lot of things that most people will never experience. I've traveled near and far and I've met some amazing people along the way. Never before have I ever been afraid or hesitant to do anything in my life. I will soon blog my many stories.

Today I want to talk about new beginnings. For those of you who don't know, I started a non-profit organization a little under a year ago. For the past year I have been working hard to try and feel my way through the darkness of getting this organization off the ground. Its far more difficult than one can imagine. There have been many bumps along the way, but I hold faith that it will be successful. 

The new beginnings that I want to express have to do with this past weekend. I attended the second annual Clinton Global Initiative University in Austin, Texas. They had me very busy talking about KBI and attending meetings. I felt like I was always in a rush. I was asked to give a short presentation about KBI at the end of a skill session called Building an Organization. I was nervous, but I consider myself a good public speaker. Little did I know that there was going to be an attack in this skill session. We were supposed to get tips and advice on starting an organization, but instead we were begged to NOT start an organization. The entire session was about how it was a terrible idea to do this. I'm sitting there thinking, oh no, I have to present my organization after these two leaders stressed to not start an organization. Needless to say, I did not deliver the speech that I was hoping to. I felt discouraged.

Luckily this was at the end of the day, so my discouragement didn't ruin the entire day. I thought long and hard about what had happened, and it still makes me sick to my stomach. I came home and wasn't really sure where I stood on the issue. But than I started getting emails from potential partners who are interested in helping out in Kroo Bay. We've started looking at revamping the organization and taking on more goals. Needless to say, my head as been cleared.

I have re-found my purpose in the world of Sierra Leone. I miss it dearly and I am very ready to go back and implement these goals. 

Stay tuned for more updates! And for some great stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment